Wednesday, May 20, 2009

US Army "Dining Out" dinner

My sister's husband (Lee, a.k.a Guy) is in the Army and every year they have what's called a "Dining Out" party. Guy is kind of in charge of putting it together and this year they invited John & I to come so I could take pictures. So last Friday we both left work early to head up to Hill Air Force Base. My sister told me it was formal and John had to wear a tie & jacket. But I didn't know it was like Prom formal. I got there and everyone was dressed like Prom. I felt a little underdressed LOL. But it was a lot of fun and VERY entertaining!! Throughout dinner they did a dialogue that centered around what's called "The Grog". Every table had a "part" that they had to read and it ended with putting something, usually a bottle of some type of alcohol, into the Grog. So the Grog ended up having every kind of alcohol you could imagine mixed in. After everything was put into the Grog, each unit did a "skit/song" and it usually ended with them "being sent to the Grog" meaning they had to take a drink. And every once in a while, a commanding officer or someone high up would send someone to "The Grog". It was like a punishment, but not really. It was mostly coming up with any kind of excuse to be "sent to the Grog" just so you could have a drink LOL. Then every table got a pitcher of "The Grog" but of course I couldn't drink it which was fine because I could smell it a mile away and it didn't smell too pleasant. I could almost taste it the smell was that strong. John and the others at our table drank it and I had lemonade. It was a good time with dancing afterwards and we can't wait to go again next year!! Thanks Leigh & Guy!! It was a........memorable evening :)

No comments: