Saturday, November 29, 2008

Black Friday!

I've only done "Black Friday" a few times. The first time I did it was about 6 years ago and some lady tried to steal my cart at Kmart over some bed-in-a-bag. The 2nd time I did it was about 4 years ago when my older sister, Leigh & I waited in line at Circuit City for several hours. We took turns waiting in the heated car for the store to open at 5am. Since then I have not gone shopping on "Black Friday" unless it was later on in the day after I slept. But this year, there were some crazy deals going on, so I snuck out of the house while John was asleep, went to the Sandy Wal-Mart at about 3:30am (without sleep) and found massive amounts of people and couldn't even get to the item I wanted. I had to take John's truck because he was parked behind me & I didn't have time to switch. I texted my sister Gia, she called and said there were hardly anyone at the Springville Wal-Mart that she, her husband Tim, my other sister Re', her husband Buzz, and my mom Pam had been since 1am. She said she would hold the item I wanted since it was the same item her & her husband Tim wanted. I got in the truck & cruised to Springville. She texted me about half way there and said it was starting to get busy. A few minutes later she texted that it was starting to get crazy & to hurry. I prayed for no cops & stepped on the gas. I got there at about 4: 35am and they unleashed the pallets at precisely 5am. We already had a strong grip on the Samsung 50" Plasma HDTV's that we wanted. Re' was at the sheet sets, Buzz was at the DVD's and our mom was at the luggage & towels. The second they said go we pulled them off the pallets. Gia & Tim were pulling the TV off the top of the one I had a hold on, so I had to duck and hold while they pulled it off over me while I held onto the TV I wanted and pulled it off as soon as I was clear. Luckily it went by so fast and they held their TV high enough it only brushed my hair and didn't fall onto my head. We met Re' & mom at the checkout and waited. I finally got home close to 7am, just before John got up to go to work. I backed his truck up to mine, slid the TV onto the bed of my truck, closed the garage and went to bed for 3 1/2 hours before waking up to go to the movie "Twilight" with my mom. We were supposed to go to my step-dad's for Thanksgiving Pie that evening but I fell asleep at about 4:00pm, woke up briefly to barely eat and passed out for the rest of the night. But it was worth it for the deal I got on John's 30th birthday present :)!!!
Tim, me & Gia waiting for the 5am go ahead to pull our TV's off the pallets!
Tim & Gia with their TVFoolishness & Mayhem at 5amRe' & Hurley waiting in line to make our purchases!
Hurley slept through the whole thing :)

2 comments:

Destini said...

Don't you just love the craziness that this morning brings? I too was out there at about 4:30.....the things we do for the people we love....I was getting a gift for my hunny too!

Courtney said...

I've never done the Black Friday thing, but it sounds fun, I think I will have to try it out next year... Hurley looks so cute asleep. I can't believe he slept through that!!!