Thursday, November 20, 2008

NKOTB - A childhood dream come true

Last Saturday I got to go back in time and live a childhood dream. 17 years ago (wow I'm old) I had a dream to see my favorite band, 'New Kids on The Block', in concert. I had begged my mom to let me go to their concert as so many of my friends were going. I was devastated that I couldn't go & thought it was the end of the world, and then a few laters they broke up. Now, 15 years later....they're back!! I can still remember listening, singing & dancing to their tapes, watching my VHS music video dreaming that my favorite band member Jonathan Knight was my boyfriend. Me & my sisters were all about New Kids and had T-shirts, posters, trading cards, dolls, etc. So when we heard they were coming to SLC, we were not going to miss our chance to finally see NKOTB in concert! I didn't care who made fun of me or how old they are, I was not missing my 2nd chance! The timing couldn't be better as my sister Desiree (Re's) birthday was coming up, so me & my sister Gia thought the best birthday present EVER would be to take Re' to the concert!! So we talked to our family and we all pitched in to get her ticket :)
Gia & I had bought the tickets in advance (floor seats row 30) & decided to keep it a secret from Re'. FINALLY, the day arrived and with the help from Re's husband, we surprised her at her doorstep, had her listen to "Happy Birthday" by NKOTB, and gave her the ticket! She was so excited and could not believe we were actually going to be seeing NKOTB live! We then went to my house to get ready, 80's style :)
We got to the concert and of course we each spent outrageous dollars $$$ on NKOTB memorabilia. We each bought Tour T-shirts (which we wore throughout the concert) keychains, and "Property of" T-Shirts & Buttons of our favorite guy. Re' also got a onesie for baby Hurley :) The whole concert we screamed our hearts out until we had no voice left. Half way thru the concert they put a spotlot on a spot 3 rows behind us and it turned out to be a rotating mini-stage with a piano & the NKOTB!! We FREAKED out and could not believe our eyes that they were INCHES FROM OF US!! Everyone around us went ballistic and we about fell off our chair (literally) as we each made some sort of contact with our favorite guy!! I kept screaming "I LOVE YOU JONATHAN"!! He actually blinked AND waved at me :) Donnie winked at Gia, posed for her camera and she had to grab onto me to keep from falling of her chair & passing out :) There was a girl behind me that also grabbed onto me to keep from falling. Re' was screaming after Danny saying how HOT he was. If it weren't for some girls in front of us, we would've touched all of the guys!!
We had the time of our lives at this concert and we still get excited when we talk about it. They sang a ton of their old songs which was AWESOME and brought back so many memories. It was a childhood dream come true for all of us. We felt like kids again, and we had SO much fun hanging out together. It was GOOD TIMES!! Re' said it was the "best birthday present EVER"! I only wish that Loni was with me because she is a HUGE part of my NKOTB memory as we both loved (or obsessed) over Jonathan ;)
After the concert we each called our hubbies and told them that we "fell in love in love with another man" :) LOL.
TAHNA + JONATHAN KNIGHT (I guess I was always destined to be with a Jon...I mean John :)
RE' + DANNY WOOD (Took us awhile but the minute she saw him she remembered who her guy was :)
GIA + DONNIE WAHLBURG (Even at age 5 she had good taste in men :)
I wish I would've snuck my camera in because 90% of the pics that Gia took were of her favorite guy, Donnie!! I think Donnie is hot & all, but I had to keep yelling at her to remind her to take a picture of Jonathan & Danny. The pictures of Jon & Danny in the slideshow are seriously the only ones we have. The rest are Donnie!! LMAO! Not that I blame her because if I had my camera, they would all be of Jonathan :)

3 comments:

Destini said...

You guys looked like you had the time of your lives! I am happy you got to see your lover boy! Too Fun!

Rasmussens said...

I am speechless :)

Courtney said...

:) I didn't even know who this group was... But I did see them on some Award show I was watching the other night.