Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Party for the CBH

For the past week or so, Courtney & I have been planning a Valentine's party for the kids at The Christmas Box House (CBH) as part of our on-going volunteer work with them. I was REALLY excited about this project because we actually get to interact with the kids. So Friday afternoon, Courtney, myself, Terri, Keri and Keri's sister all went to The CBH to setup while the kids finished their lunch and played outside. When we were ready, we split them into two groups and they took turns playing ring toss & bean bag toss. The kids really got into the games and seeing how many points they could get. Quite a few of them asked if they could keep the game so after the party we donated the games to the CBH to keep. After the games we had the kids decorate their own heart sugar cookies. It was messy but a lot of fun for us and for them. They really enjoyed decorating their cookies and I had so much fun helping them and see the different designs they would make with the frosting and sprinkles. There was an adorable 2 year old African-American girl that was such a cutie while eating her cookie. She had frosting all over her face, hands and clothes. It was SO funny to watch her. I wish we could've taken pictures of the kids, but due to privacy issues we are not allowed. I took some pictures while we were setting up before the kids came in but that's all we were able to get. I absolutely LOVED playing with the kids. They were such good kids that it's hard to believe the reasons that they are at CBH. This has been my favorite activity with the CBH and I hope we do more activities like this with the kids in the future.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

This activity was so great and so rewarding! To be able to really play with the kids and get to know them was so awesome! Those kids were so great! I'm glad they had fun. :) I hope we can do something like this again. :D