Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Bad news for our family

Picture was taken just after my dad was first diagnosed with Cancer in 2006
My dad has been fighting cancer for almost 3 years and recently had started his 4th chemo treatment. He's been such a trooper and never complains. However, Monday our family got some bad news from my dad's oncologist. His cancer is spreading and is no longer responding to treatment. They have given him 2-3 months. There is nothing more they can do but keep him as comfortable as possible for the time we have. This has been EXTREMELY difficult for our family but has brought us so close together which I know makes my dad happy. The last few days we have met all his Hospice nurses and case worker, re-done all his meds, and will hopefully give him a better quality of life so we can spend some good memorable times together. Our Halona family has been so supportive and several members of our family are coming into town from all over the country to visit with my dad and show their love. I'm grateful that my work is also being EXTREMELY supportive and giving me whatever time I need to be with my dad and family. They more than understand and that is so wonderful that I don't have to worry about that. Monday was one of the worst days I'll ever have in my life, but I am thankful to have my family and John around me. John came to my dad's to just sit by me and hold my hand. When we got home I realized I hadn't eaten all day, and all I wanted was cereal but the milk in the fridge expired. So he went to the grocery store to get me some milk and brought me back some flowers. Lynzie has also been amazing on keeping an eye on me, checking in with me to make sure I'm breathing, eating, resting, etc. I don't know what I would do without my support system. I'm definately going to need it.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I want you to know that I am praying for you and your family. I am really happy to hear that your family is coming in and also that your family is getting closer. I bet your dad is really happy. :) It sounds like John and Lynzie are a great support for you. We are all here for support just let us know what you need k. Love ya.

Michael and Morgan said...

Oh Tahna I'm so so so sorry to hear that. Just keep your chin up and ALWAYS remember to smile!!! Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.