Friday, December 4, 2009

Festival of Tree's 2009

So it's that time of year again! The annual Festival of Tree's at the Southtowne Expo Center!! This is my 3rd year volunteering at the festival with Lynzie and I love it! This year I actually volunteered 2 nights. The first was Tuesday, opening night which is the auction night and we did invoicing again. I like doing the invoicing because you get to see how much the tree's sell for and we write down the really high priced ones and check them out afterwards. The second night that I volunteered was Thursday and we were hostesses, which you basically just stand around to an assigned number of tree's and make sure nobody messes with the tree's and talk to them about the story behind the tree if there is one. It also makes for great people watching (LOL). One of the tree's that I was assigned to was decorated in Orange, Gold and Brown decorations and had a wood sign that said "Orange you glad it's Christmas". The people who donated the tree did it in memoriam of their little boy (I think was 2) who died 2 years ago due to a brain tumor and his favorite color was orange. Most of the stories behind the donated tree's are similar to this story, and although it's sad to hear, it's so nice to see their families do something special and help give something back. I've always wanted to do a tree for the festival, but always put it off. Well, not this time. I am making a commitment to myself to do a tree next year in memoriam of my dad who passed away last April.
It was fun volunteering and it always makes me feel good knowing all the proceeds benefit the kid's at Primary Children's Medical Center :) Thanks Lynz, it was fun and a great way to kickoff the holiday season! Can't wait until next year!!
Grandma Rasmussen with the Wreath that her & Cheryl did

A car and sleigh that sold for $120,000

No comments: