Monday, June 16, 2008

Halona Family Reunion '08

This past weekend we went to New Mexico for my annual Halona Family Reunion. This was John's first time to New Mexico, first time to the "rez" (reservation), and first time to my family reunion. I was really excited for him to go but also a litte nervous that he may not have a good time. It was a little of a culture shock for him but he enjoyed it and we had a great time! Thursday night we drove to Moab to stay the night and the next day we drove the rest of the way. We stopped in Tohatchi, NM to visit my grandma and then headed to Gallup, NM where we went to "Earl's Restaurant" to look at jewelry. "Earl's" is a family restaurant but outside they have vendors where they sell handmade authentic Native American jewelry, pottery, and other things for VERY reasonable prices. I got some beautiful earrings and wanted to go back for more. After "Earl's" we went to "Genaro's" which is a mexican restaurant that has THE BEST STUFFED SOPAPILLA'S IN ALL THE WORLD!! They are AAAAmazing! Our family has been going to "Genaro's" for several years and when my parents lived in New Mexico, they were quite regulars. The main waitress, Francis, still knows who we are, what drinks we like and what we want to order. This year was no different. When we sat down, she immediately brought out drinks for my parents, me and my sister Gia without even asking us. I didn't even let John order, I ordered the stuffed sopapilla for him and I have to say he was quite pleased. He was the first to finish his plate! (The newbies usually are). My brother Mike, cousin Bliss, cousin Jolene, her two boys, and my Uncle Dave all met us at Genaro's so we had quite the dinner get together. After Genaro's John and I stopped at a western store to pickup a cowboy hat for him as a prop for an activity at the reunion. Finally we headed up the mountain to setup camp. The rest of the weekend was spent reuniting with family, playing games, all kinds of activities, eating good food and having a good time. Saturday evening we had a Mutton dinner with Vegetable Mutton stew and Corn Mutton stew. Mmmmm. It was DELICIOUS! After dinner we went with my dad and my little sister Melody for a drive to Whiskey Lake. Then we had our annual Saturday Night Live where anyone can paticipate and do a skit, a talent or whatever you like. Afterwards we went back to our camp, started a fire, roasted marshmallows, had smores and told stories. It was so great to be with my family. I usually only get to see them once a year at the reunion so I try and make the most of it. It was a quick trip but we had an awesome time and can't wait for next year!

No comments: